Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why I'm Not Crazy About the New "Whose Line"

The revival premiere of the improv show "Whose Line is it Anyway?" premiered last night on The CW. Unfortunately, needless to say, I was underwhelmed.

First let's look at the positives. I love that they brought back the original cast, which consists of Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, and Wayne Brady. They even brought back the original musicians for the song games, Laura Hall and Linda Taylor. The coolest part is that the set looks exactly the same. Basically, to quote a tweet of Wayne Brady, it's like they never left. They still have the same chemistry with each other. I also really like the new game "Sideways Scene", which is when they perform the scene lying on the floor and the camera films them from above. The audience is also just as cheerful and interactive.

Then there are the minor changes that I'm not crazy about, but I think I can live with. First of all, the guys have aged and gained a little weight, except for Wayne Brady because that guy never changes. It's kind of depressing to see that they have gotten older, but they don't look that drastically different. They still have the same flavor that they did back then. It's like the show never ended but decided to fast forward a few years. The original red background curtain is now blue and the intro music from commercial and title card in the beginning have been altered. There are also new guest performers. These all are actually pretty good changes because it makes it not just like the original U.S. program. It's a clean slate, a fresh start. The red to the blue symbolizes that this is the revival.

Now I'll bring up my true problem with the show. Drew Carey isn't there but Aisha Tyler is.

Don't get me wrong. I love Aisha. I was first introduced to her as a host of CBS's "The Talk" and she is actually my favorite host on that show. I find that I agree with her most on what she has to say about topics and find that she is the one that speaks for me. I even took a "Which 'The Talk' host are you?" online quiz, wanted her as my result, and got her. I even fangirled when I saw her make a cameo appearance on "Glee" as Jake Puckerman's mother.

However, she does NOT fit the "Whose Line" family at all.

I'm sure the guys like her, but you can tell that they feel awkward around her. She's just not funny and tries too hard to be, as if trying to live up to the franchise, and ends up just being too loud or annoying. Every time she tries to crack a joke, they seem to find it difficult to respond. They just grin. She is not that funny on her own show either. I mean, she has some chuckle worthy lines here and there, but on "The Talk" she is more of the serious person of the group, which is fine. You don't have be that funny for a talk show, especially when you're a foil to those funnier than you as your co-hosts. Even though she's not humorous she's still very intelligent and well spoken, which is what a talk show needs. But, you kind of have to be funny for "Whose Line".

As much as the guys made fun of Drew Carey for doing nothing on the show, he made "Whose Line" what it is today. In fact, they actually look a little depressed not having Drew there with them. He wasn't as good of an actor as the rest, but he still made an excellent, funny host. The show originated in Britain, and that host was as boring and unmemorable as can be. Not only this, but the guys are friends with Drew and they made fun of him for everything: sitting behind the desk, pressing the button, having two shows on ABC, his occasional screw ups, his movie Geppetto, everything about him. And then Drew would make fun of them right back. He was one of them. Can you imagine the guys, especially Ryan, who was notorious for mocking Drew, making fun of Aisha? For what? It would be so weird.

They are just a bunch of dudes used to joking around with each other, with the occasional female guest performer, whom sadly is never really as into it as they are. With Aisha as the host, it's like a bunch of goofy teenage boys replacing their fellow goofy teenage boy friend with a little girl, which is kind of how I see this! They are older men hosted by a younger woman. Just looking at them together in photos doesn't feel right. She looks like she doesn't belong. I can see maybe having Aisha as a guest performer, but definitely not a host. Now if you were to see Aisha on "The Talk" with her female co-hosts, she fits right in with their banters, but she's also one of the quieter ones as well, which is another reason why her loudness is so off-putting. It's just not her.

I keep trying to figure out who would be a good replacement host for this show, and I can't think of anybody but Drew! Now, would I feel better if another guy replaced Drew? Possibly. It depends on who it is. And maybe I wouldn't feel as bad about Aisha hosting if there was a female host all along. But I still think Drew is the only one who deserves the title.

From my understanding Drew couldn't host "Whose Line" due to his obligations to "The Price is Right". I don't understand this because Wayne Brady hosts "Let's Make a Deal", which airs an hour before Drew's show on the same station, and Aisha hosts "The Talk". At the time of the original "Whose Line", Drew starred in his own sitcom "The Drew Carey Show". If other people can juggle more than one TV show and he has done it in the past, why can't he do it again?

I will admit that although I was excited about the show's revival, I wasn't really keeping an open mind about Aisha, and I felt this way since finding out that she was the new host months ago on Twitter. I think this is what ruined my perception of the rest of the show. I just couldn't enjoy it fully and found it a little boring. I was so upset when I found out that "Whose Line" and "So You Think You Can Dance" landed on the same night and time, and was grateful when I discovered that there was an All-Star baseball game in place of "SYTYCD" this particular night, leaving me free to watch the "Whose Line" premiere without having to swap channels back and forth. It was a sign for me to watch it. I didn't know what I'd do in the future when "SYTYCD" returns, but now that I was given the chance to view "Whose Line", it was a sign for me to leave the show from that point on. I think I'm going to dedicate my Tuesday nights to "SYTYCD", which was my plan anyway, even though I'm STILL upset that they eliminated Jasmine Mason!

"Whose Line" is a show I turned to on YouTube to cheer myself up when upset or sick, to relieve boredom or stress, or just because I felt like it. I was so excited to look forward to brand new jokes in addition to the reruns with jokes I expected. I hate to say it, but I'm very disappointed and kind of sad, especially seeing how a lot of people seem to like Aisha in the host seat, though I discovered today via social media that I am not alone in my feelings either. I feel like I won't like the show fully unless Drew Carey returns. I'm definitely willing to give it another chance, but yet I feel like not tuning in. I don't see how she got the job.

Maybe it's not her that is the problem. Maybe I'm just seriously missing Drew Carey and nobody else compares to him. Maybe any other host would get this reaction out of me as well.

I just needed to vent this. Oh, and I also decided to watch the premiere of a new dating game show following "Whose Line" on The CW called "Perfect Score". Boy was that quality TV.

14 comments:

  1. no your right. who's line needs to have drew carrey to be a complete, cohesive show. the best part of the show besides the actual sketches were how everyone played off each other. drew carrey had that chemistry with the rest of the crew. if they can't get him back they should at least get someone that acts like him lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Right. This new version falls a little flat without Drew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true , the new host is not as loose and connected to the rest of the characters as Mr.Drew Carrey.... but what can we do as the viewers to change this? A petition?

    I am no hater of Ms.Aisha but I am sorry to say she is the weak link of this wonderful show .



    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the first episode and you can see here being the "feminist". She was like "you did not say that" when Gary made a "sexist" joke, I quoted "sexist" because it was "things you can say about your lunch but not your girlfriend"
    So that just kills all the fun.
    It seems that there is some kind of "Lobby" in place that lobbied for a female host as the show was labelled sexist by "feminazis".
    But you see actually its not, just this example "things you can say about your lunch but not your girlfriend" would come across as sexist but it would have the same humor if the gender roles were reversed.

    Its sad day for comedy. All I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree 100%. She doesn't fit. The whole thing feels awkward now, like trying to make jokes with your parents in the room. They need a host the guys can goof around with and have back-and-forth playful banter with. Otherwise, the host really *doesn't* need to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're 100% right. if anyone starts a petition I'll sign it. Id look forward to seeing Aisha in different shows, but Drew and the crew are irreplaceable... its what made the show so famous in the first place. When people let loose, they're funnier. Its sad that they have to be spontaneous but yet restrict themselves

    ReplyDelete
  7. shes shit, bring back drew carey!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely agree... was just checking out the first episode today, it just feels off... like something's missing... I really liked Drew Carrey... but to be fair, I don't think he can do it anymore though,.. I saw his 2011 series 'Drew Carrey's Impro-a-ganza" and it was supposed to be similar to whose line... but it also felt off... to be fair...that may have just been the set, as this felt more... whose liney than the improv-a-ganza... they need a host who is familiar with the shows 8 year original run... and has a slightly sarcastic, weirdly humorous, just plain silly comic aura to them... and the only people I can think off are... Jim Carry, Keagen michael-key, Damian Wayan, and well me! but I don't think they would allow me to do it... oh wait... perhaps... just maybe Neil patrick harris, or that guy from Gary unmarried could pull it off... Matthew Perry also has the qualities for this... but he has this huge... "I want to die" look on him lately... like in Go On, he looked kinda... off... maybe with some make up... he could probably pull this off BIG TIME!! then again, if they are willing to fly me over there, I could do it... I may be a bit too young, but I've been playing their games since I was a kid, and I hosted a bunch of their games back in highschool... so who knows ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about David Letterman?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about just cancelling the whole show??
    The only funny part is watching them laugh at each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know, I'm looking at clips on YouTube and it seems great. I got really tired of Drew and even Clive when I was watching the DVD set of the episodes a long time ago. I agree that it is kind of weird that she's there, but I think it's awesome that they revived everything else, and the performers are still incredibly funny. I really didn't like Drew Carey's improvaganza, and I honestly feel like he wanted to be a performer making gags with them, which may be why he did that. I think it's just great that it's back really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having Aisha in the mix on the show is like having a broadcaster in a comedy show. Love everyone else. Get someone who is actually funny to host the show. Very disappointing for such an originally funny show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree it is like 'parent in room'watching the fellows react to the young lady. It is slightly uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete