Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Why the Rabbit is the Best Part of FOX's "The Masked Singer"

OMG, you guys! We HAVE to talk about FOX's "The Masked Singer"!!! LOL!

I think this is the stupidest show I have ever liked. And considering the stupid stuff I've liked in the past, particularly delivered by FOX, that's saying something. LOL

I was looking forward to the show when I saw commercials for it, finding it intriguing enough to want to check out, but I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do. lol

I then realized that I like it because it combines two of my favorite entertainment elements: performance and mystery.

Based on South Korea's "The King of the Masked Singer," the premise is that celebrities dress up in these amazing outlandish costumes designed by Marina Toybina and perform musical numbers for a celebrity panel consisting of Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy, Ken Jeong, and Nicole Scherzinger, and host Nick Cannon. Everyone then has to guess who the celebrity is behind the mask.

Premiering January 2, the concept is such simple, mindless, creative, unique fun that, considering how 2018 was for me, it is a totally welcome treat to kick off 2019.

From the Rabbit's own Instagram account! LOL!
My favorite is BY FAR the Rabbit. Or rather, the deranged demonic rabbit with red eyes wearing a straitjacket. I'm definitely not alone here. The Rabbit has quite the following. #TeamRabbit Unite!

People have a handful of guesses about his identity, but the overall consensus is that that he is an *NSYNC member, particularly Joey Fatone or JC Chasez. This alone makes me excited about him because if he is indeed a member of a 90s boy band, that makes me nostalgic.

However, Fatone, the most popular and reasonable guess, has insisted on and on again that he is not the voice behind the Rabbit in multiple interviews while trying to promote his new upcoming game show "Common Knowledge." A part of me is thinking that he's just saying that to screw with everyone, even though he seems pretty adamant about it. LOL Out of every celebrity possibility, Fatone's personality seems to fit the Rabbit the most.

This all being said, however, I've decided to take Fatone's word for it just in case and go back to the drawing board to make my own guesses, and my conclusion is this: This Rabbit is driving me crazy.

It's so frustrating because I know his voice so well but I can't place his face or his name! I've been trying to figure this out for weeks! :-P

Yes, I know that this is a dumb thing to stress out over, but it's pretty amazing how people get so passionate about it! It's not hard to get invested! 

So here are my reasons for favoring the Rabbit, which are pretty much the same reasons everyone else has. lol

1) He gets into character.

Nobody really acknowledges this as much, though it has been mentioned a few times briefly, but I think it is very possible that he was on Broadway or does voice overs, and that's how I would know him. If you notice in his second clue package, he hides behind a red theater curtain.

He says that he has been on stage for most of his life but he was never alone, but this doesn't always have to mean in a band, even though he said he was in one and I'm not doubting that he was. Being on stage with a bunch of people could also mean being in a theater production, which is pretty evident with how he carries himself. He walks onto the stage twitching, then launches into theatrical performances of Ricky Martin's "Livin La Vida Loca" and Avicii's "Wake Me Up." The production quality of his performances are also pretty top notch, complete with some cool sets and effects and him dancing. After his numbers, he still doesn't break character. I think he might be an actor who then decided to pursue a music career.

Another thing is, he fully embraces the identity of the Rabbit, not really acknowledging that he is human under the mask. While his fellow contestants explain why they chose their specific characters, this guy straight up says, "I AM THE RABBIT" and refers to his younger self as a "little bunny" and "young cottontail." It's the cutest thing!

I love rabbits too, so that's a plus. lol

2) He gets so pumped.

His attitude is amazing! :D Even without his facial expressions, you can still tell that he is having the time of his life on this show.

The Rabbit prepares a fighting stance and is all like "Let's do this." when Cannon asks him if he's ready. He's clearly pretty youthful and experienced with this. He's got a certain suaveness and swagger, sassiness, sense of humor, and I really appreciate his competitive streak and energy. He puts on a fun, entertaining show every time with so much personality, even when the panel is talking to him. I mean, he puts his arm around Cannon as they deliberate and reacts accordingly to their comments. No other contestant does that.

3) I love his voice!

So when these celebrities talk, their voices get distorted, making them sound like the Chipmunks. The only time we hear their actual voices is when they sing and we're supposed to guess who they are based on that alone along with the clues that they provide. When he in particular talks when giving his clues, he almost does sound like how a rabbit would speak. I also love his laugh in the Rabbit voice too. He keeps doing it more and more! lol!

But then you hear him sing and it's like, "OK, Rabbit. I see you." as you fan yourself (i.e. He's got a hot voice!). In addition, he's just such a great singer in general. He hits notes beautifully.

I definitely know who he is, but I just can't put my finger on it. The funny thing is that I feel like I've heard him perform not too long ago or I might be a fan of his already. Nevertheless, this show is actually making me a fan of him now. I'm looking forward to them unveiling who he is so I can look up more of his work. It should be interesting to see. I just hope that he is a celebrity that I actually like! LOL

But perhaps that is the beauty of this show. Appreciating a celebrity you may not have considered before for his or her hidden talents.

I wouldn't mind seeing this guy perform live. I was thinking that it would be interesting to see him, the Lion, the Peacock, the Bee, and the Monster all on tour together in their costumes.

In fact, those are the contestants I'm thinking are going to be in the finals. I'm hoping that the Rabbit lasts long on the show so I can continue to do some sleuthing. I want to figure it out before they reveal it! But then again, them revealing it sooner will put me out of my misery! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment