I wanted to do something special for the United States of America's 250th Birthday and looked up different events to attend. This isn't just any Fourth of July where fireworks and hot dogs is enough. This is a milestone celebration.
I realized that I can combine two of my passions and talents, writing and weaving, and in doing so come forth in defense of the American Flag.
One day I was out with a group of women that I had recently befriended. The conversation eventually geared towards America and patriotism because July was approaching and naturally the subject of the American Flag was brought up.
One of the woman in the group proceeded to say that she told her mother to take down the American flag that she was displaying because "It might give people the wrong idea." To which her mother responded, "Oh, I didn't even think of that."
"Didn't think of what?" I wanted to ask. Though I surmised what she meant.
Then another woman seated across from her said, "Yeah, it unfortunately has a negative connotation now."
"What negative connotation?" I wanted to ask. Though I surmised what she meant.
Then another woman on the other end of the table mentioned that she had to walk in a Fourth of July parade for her job or something like that but she didn't want to dress "too patriotic."
The others giggled in agreement, but inside I was seething.
We live in a country where it is okay to hang up flags from other countries, sexual and gender ideology, and various social movements, but yet people, some of whom are even born and raised here, are ashamed or chastized for hanging up a flag of the country they actually live in?
It's honestly really sad and infuriating.
Why is this? Because they hate President Donald Trump? Because yeah, that is what I surmise is meant by this. There are people who let their hatred for this one man make them hate their home, the greatest country in the world. They also feel that America isn't worth celebrating right now or ever was.
What are we even doing here?
I kept quiet that whole time and eventually the conversation moved onto other topics, but I had pretty much checked out by that point. I zoned out and didn't contribute or pay much attention because I kept thinking about what had just transpired. I wanted to ask my questions, but I also didn't want to get into it with them because I like these women and don't want to ruin any positive rapport that I have with them. It also didn't feel right to interrupt the current topic to go back to that.
This isn't even the first and only instance regarding offense of the American flag and wanting people to take it down. I've been hearing this for years now. This one time in CVS I was wearing my usual USA t-shirt and the employees behind the counter looked at me and I could tell that they were communicating with each other about what I was wearing. One of them kinda mockingly said as an aside, "God Bless America." I was then and to this day hurt and angry about this, making me feel like if I ever were to wear something patriotic, even when it isn't a patriotic holiday time of year, I would be on the receiving end of criticism and it's okay to target me. It's a very uncomfortable and irritating place to be in. The guy who made the remark was the one to ring me up right after, and he was good with me, even smiling at me at times, but this was another situation in which I wish I had said something but decided against it to keep the peace.
It's a shame that I feel like I have to do that and that harshness towards America and its symbols is so normalized.
The women and I eventually all dispersed by exchanging pleasantries. I wished everyone a Happy Fourth of July and they responded in kind. Even earlier in the meeting I brought up fireworks and that was fine with everyone I guess. But ever since that American Flag discussion, I have been feeling disheartened.
Normally I don't care about other people's political affiliations and pretty much know what to expect anyway, but I'm at the point where I am just so tired of this and being around this. I am tired of the divisive negativity and feeling alone in my beliefs.
Does America have a problematic history? Sure. Does America have problems now? Of course it does.
But guess what? So does every other country out in the world! Many have it way worse! No place is perfect.
It's one thing to criticize certain aspects of America that need to be rectified, but it's another thing to want to see America fail and police other people's patriotic actions.
In fact, between the Artemis II Expedition, FIFA World Cup, Winter Olympics 2026, etc., American patriotism has truly been on the rise this year and I am very appreciative of it. It's nice to see.
This year I have gotten into a new hobby of weaving, which is a textile activity that interlocks yarn together to make a fabric. After hearing that American Flag conversation, I got inspired and started and completed my first attempt of weaving the United States of America flag! Just call me Betsy Ross! :D
This was actually one of the most challenging weaving projects I have taken on yet. I wish it was a little longer to make it look more like a, you know, flag, but I was getting tired of doing it and didn't want to use up all of this particular red yarn that I have and so I wrapped it up earlier. I couldn't wait to show my parents, so that was another reason. lol I also like that it kinda looks like a tattered flag in a colonial type of way.
I have some favorites of my weaved products, and this one is definitely up there. I am so proud of it, and I am so proud to be an American. I love this country so much that it makes me cry.
Fellow patriots, never let anyone take this away from you. And for those of you who disagree with me on anything I have said here, I invite you to reconsider your thinking and join our side as so many of your former comrades have done already. You are always welcome.
We need to maintain our freedoms, ideals, and cultures in America! We need to make things better in America! There is no other option!
Happy Fourth of July! Happy Independence Day! Yay!
Happy 250th Birthday, United States of America!!! I am so happy and honored to be alive to celebrate this with you! I love you!!! :D <3
π❤πΊπ²π¦ ππ
Happy Labor Day as well. :)
![]() |
| I made a mini one a few days later. I wanted to make it look more like a usual flag. lol πΊπ² |
Ironically enough, here is a video I came across about the American Flag. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment