Friday, June 1, 2012

Stef's "So Good You Can't Put It Down" Book Reviews

I was waiting to post this in June. :)

I have a confession to make. This has been a long time coming and I have been wanting to write a blog post about this sooner or later. Here goes...

I feel like such a failure as an English major, not because of my work ethic, but simply because I don't like to read.

Well, it's not that I totally hate reading. It's just that I'm the type of person who has to be REALLY engaged in a book in order to stay focused. It's not really like me to sit there, read, and be totally concentrated on the material. There's always a distraction. There are very few books that I have completed from beginning to end, and normally those books are the ones that I cannot put down and end up completing in a very short time span. The thing is, I don't like reading for school. Every time I have to read for school I always say that I am going to read it but then when the time comes I am never very motivated to do it and then end up not being able to contribute in class as well. I don't know why. Perhaps it is the book itself that just doesn't interest me or the fact that I am forced to read it for a grade, but I think the reason is I don't have a very focused attention span. Then there are the books that I get very invested in by then stop halfway. Again, my lack of attention span.

So this summer one of my main goals is to read more books (and complete them!) since I have more free time. Reading is very important and is something I want to return to. I was inspired to do this awhile ago, but the recent Lacordaire Academy Book Sale gave me even more convincing. I often buy plenty of books there because at the time they all look interesting and I want to collect reading material, but then I end up not reading them, which is a trait of mine that frustrates me. And to force myself to do this, I am hereby promising you some book reviews, whether they be on here or my YouTube channel. They may be plays (my favorite genre for obvious reasons, plus I find them quick, easier reads so it might be best to start off my book review series and summer reading challenge with something simple), classics (a goal of mine is to read as many classics as possible, some of them I have read already and some I am yet to read, so I may do these as special blog posts or do one every so often), fiction books I haven't read yet, fiction books I have read nonstop, completed, and loved, (I was thinking of doing these in their own series or starting off this series with them considering I have already read them), fiction books that I have started and finished halfway, and any other reading material that suits my fancy. I also want to do more movie and TV reviews on here as well, so I have my work cut out for me.

Okay, so there you have it. My summer blog project. We'll see how this goes. Of course, I will be writing about other musings and creating other series this summer as well.

I have just finished reading Equus by Peter Shaffer, so we'll begin "Stef's 'So Good You Can't Put It Down' Book Reviews" with that one, including a special announcement by me in regards to the MSU Department of Theater and Dance productions of the 2012-2013 season. ;)

Speaking of book reviews, check out my friend Janis's blog, where she actually specializes in book reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment